I looked out the window this morning, and to my dismay, it is STILL rainy and it looks disgusting outside. It can be tough to entertain kids on rainy days – barbies and legos can only entertain for so long! Have fun with your kiddo and turn a gloomy day into one of the prettiest days by painting their umbrella with a fanciful pattern. It only takes a few supplies and a child-size umbrealla. So by the time it dries….they can be “dancing in the rain” with their new fancy umbrella!
- You will need a kid’s nylon umbrella (paint won’t stick to a plastic one)
- Permanent waterproof paint, such as fabric paint or acrylic
Note: Follow the manufacturer’s directions: Some fabric paints require the addition of fixative; others require ironing the umbrella after painting.
1. Carefully cover the work surface with newspaper before you begin, and have your child wear a smock.
2. Once finished, keep the umbrella open overnight.
3. The paint must dry completely before you close it or use it.
Another fun idea is singing the song “Rain, Rain, Go Away” with your kids! Here are the lyrics: