We interviewed super chic boutique owner, Sandra Murphy, of P. Cottontail & Company located in Half Moon Bay, California to find out “what’s hot” and “what’s not” for kids clothes this summer. She gives also gives us the inside scoop on her store events and super sales to look out for, as well as the best hangouts in the store’s area. Read more to find out about her fashion tips and the best beach gear this summer that you can’t live without!
Check-in and join P. Cottontail & Company’s
Facebook page and click HERE
1. What was your inspiration/ behind opening your children’s clothing store – P. Cottontail & Company?
Sandra: I really did not have a single inspiration — being in the garment industry my entire career — and the kids business for a large part of that…it was a natural progression.
2. Tell us about any special events that you have planned at your store this coming summer and fun deals we can expect. Sandra: Our special events this summer?…On July 4th we have an old fashion hometown parade. We will be handing out flags to all of our kids. Also our BIG end of season sale will start in mid-July. Of course, do not forget THE PUMPKIN FESTIVAL in October. Please visit us early for all things pumpkin AND the best costumes ever.
3. What are this season’s latest trends for kid’s clothing? Tell us the 3 “do’s” and 3 “don’ts” in kid clothing style.
Sandra: Do’s and Don’ts…
- Do go for all things comfy and soft — babies and kids both can develop sensory issues at an early age give them all the help you can.
- Do go for the accessories — it makes the outfit — boys love hats and cool shoes, girls love purses just like mom.
- Do go for lots of great dress up clothes, it’s not just for b-day parties, and not just for girls!
- Don’t ever buy any garment that even LOOKS itchy — this is especially important in dressy dresses — also tags inside the garment — many
of the moms ask us to remove them after they purchase the outfit because they bother the kids so much.
- Don’t ever go for anything tight or restrictive — kids need to be kids.
4. Tell us…before you “had kids or grandkids, what is one thing you swore you’d never…?” Please share!
Sandra: I never had anything I swore I would never do — I’m a firm believer in “never say never.” I have one daughter — one amazing daughter — and being in the apparel industry, she was exposed to all types of clothing and styles and is quite the diva.
5. Describe the neighborhood of Half Moon Bay, California where your store is located. Did you grow up in the local area?
Sandra: Half Moon Bay is a coast side town about 20 minutes south of San Francisco — the ocean is a big attraction for families — there are also tide pools at The Fitzgereld Marine Reserve where kids get a real hands-on experience.
6. What are your top 3 best selling beach gear items that you would suggest as the perfect “go-to” items for a family on vacation?
Sandra: Top 3 items for beach gear — SUN SCREEN – a sun hat with a large brim and sunglasses – I’m very big on sun protection — start you kids early.
7. Tell us about a “special” moment that made your day working at your store.
Sandra: Hands down favorite moment in the store is when one of my favorite little girls came in, sat down on the floor, opened her piggy bank–dumped out all the pennies–and asked me if she had enough money to buy the horse outfit!!
8. What swimwear or cover-up piece from Le Top or rabbitmoon do you love from the Spring/Summer 2011 collection?
Sandra: My summer swimwear collection favorite piece…is the pink zip front cover-up from the Le Top “Flutterbye Butterfly” Collection – I also love the bikini-don’t forget the sun hat!
P. Cottontail & Company
527 Main Street
Half Moon Bay, CA 94019
Check-in and join
P. Cottontail & Company’s
Facebook page and click HERE