Memorial Day weekend is only 1 day away! Not only is it one of my favorite 3 day holiday weekends, it is always that first feeling of the “official” start of summer. I am sure a lot of parents are wondering (other than BBQing) what they will do with their kids over the long weekend. Below is a fun wind streamer craft that is patriotic and easy to do with the whole family! Don’t worry – it doesn’t make noise (I personally get a headache from chimes!), and you cam make this craft with little more than an empty oatmeal container and colored paper.
You can also use this activity to teach younger children about the “wind” (like a science lesson) and illustrate the direction on wind and how it plays a part in the environment. Martha Stewart was my inspiration for this project.
How to Make a Patriotic Paper Wind Streamer
- Empty oatmeal container, or similar cylindrical container
- Blue craft paper
- White craft paper
- Star-shaped paper or you can cut stars out on white craft paper
- Craft glue (Elmer’s works fine!)
- Double-sided tape
- Waxed twine
- Red-and-white grosgrain flat ribbon
- Red ribbon
- White ribbon
- Paper punch
1. Remove the bottom of the cylindrical container.
2. Measure and cut the blue craft paper to fit inside and outside the container. The paper should come right up to the top and bottom lip of the container.
3. Lay the double-sided tape to the three edges of the paper on the wrong side, and stick it to the container’s interior.
4. Create stars from the white craft paper, and glue them onto the second piece of blue paper. Lay the double-sided tape to the three edges of the paper on the opposite side, and stick to the container’s exterior.
5. With the fine paper punch, punch four holes at the north, south, east, and west points of the container’s top. Thread a piece of waxed twine through one hole and its opposite hole, and tie in place. Repeat for remaining holes.
6. Cut lengths of the red and white ribbon to create streamers, and glue them at the bottom edge of the container. Lay double-sided tape all the way around the top and bottom edges of the container, and adhere the red-and-white grosgrain ribbon.
Enjoy this colorful and patriotic craft!