Boogie monster? Nope! Check out this week’s “Store Spotlight” with Kids Kloset in Broken Bow, Nebraska. Shirley McGinn gets down to earth with Le Top and gives tips on how to update your child’s wardrobe this summer and what her “must-haves” are for a family road trip!
1. Are you a Nebraska native? If so, what did you do growing up as a kid in the local area? Describe the neighborhood your store is in for us.
Shirley: I am a Nebraska native. I graduated from Broken Bow High School. Music was always my love and I taught elementary music for several years. I raised my family and then entered the retail business and have owned my own store for 10 years! My store is located on a beautiful square, which is the center of the retail area in Broken Bow. We have a “prime” spot [on the Square].
2. So how did you get your start in the children’s business?
Shirley: Well, I worked in a missy store for several years and opened a small department in the store that I worked in, and eventually out grew that space and opened my current store location.
3. If you had to take a family road trip this summer – what 5 items could you not live without?
Shirley: Comfortable clothes that always look fresh, plenty of cold water, games for the kids, snacks, and plenty of patience!!
4. What is 1 tip you would give a parent on how to update your child’s wardrobe for summer?
Shirley: Find clothes that are cool, easy to care for and feel good for a child. Comfort is everything!
5. Between all of the social media outlets – Facebook, Twitter, and more – what do you think about social networking and how it allows moms and dads to join cyber parenting communities where they can meet, gain knowledge, as well as get recommendations and support.
Shirley: I think the concept is very interesting and I think the parents today are more in-tune with this type of resource. My own children, as parents, rely on others for advise in this area and probably would use social networking to reach out to their friends.
6. What do you feel are the three biggest keys to your success?
Shirley: Variety, a knowledgeable staff, and our location.
7. If you had one piece of advice for someone entering children’s retail today, what would it be?
Shirley: Watch the price point and the quality. Also be sure the clothing has color and style.
8. What is your best or most memorable moment in your store?
Shirley: We have annual style shows and getting the children ready is always fun and the kids themselves have so much fun.
9. What collection or piece from Le Top line do you love from the Spring/Summer 2010 collection?
Shirley: The Le Top swimsuits!
833 D Street
Broken Bow, NE 68822