We are super excited to have interviewed the new children’s boutique owner/founder, Mimi Lonski, of Mimi’s for Kids in Newport, Rhode Island this week for our “Premier Store Spotlight.” She gives us an inside look into opening her first children’s boutique, planning her upcoming “A Party with Carl” event, and her best style and parenting advice for parents and kids. Read more to find out about the chicest boutique in Newport, Rhode Island!
Join Mimi’s for Kids Facebook page and click HERE
1. What was your inspiration behind starting your children’s clothing store – Mimi’s for Kids?
Mimi: A grandmother’s job is to spoil her grandchildren and “Mimis” are the some of best grandmothers. Because I am a real Mimi and a Grandmimi, I was inspired to open a shop and fill it with special Grandma gifts for the little ones. We have wonderful clothing, accessories and toys for infants, toddlers and little girls 4-6X.
2. Tell us about any special events that you have planned at your store and fun deals we can expect.
Mimi: Our store is only one month old so we have been very busy getting to know our customers but we are planning “A Party with Carl” in July when the season is in full swing. Carl is a huge plush sheep from Jellycats who has become our mascot (see above) and frequent window dressing.
Mimi's store front featuring Rabbitmoon's 'Empress' Collection (far left)
3. Describe the neighborhood of Newport, Rhode Island where your store is located. Tell us about Newport. What made you pick this location and did you grow up in the local area?
Mimi: Newport is a beautiful town, surrounded by water, filled with historic homes, some of which date back to 1720s, and wonderful gardens with big old trees. We are located on Mill Street just off Bellevue Avenue, where all the famous mansions are located. We look out on Touro Park and the Old Stone Mill. The Park is spectacular this spring with all the cherry trees blooming. Newport is a very ‘walkable’ town, which we love. We are only a few blocks from the waterfront and harbor and in the opposite direction, a few blocks from the beach.
4. Memorial Day and summer break for kids is just around the corner. What are 3 vacation clothing must-have items that are in your store for summer?
Mimi: Although the weather has been quite cool this spring, summer is on its way and Newport is a resort town. Our must-haves for summer include our cool ribbon-trimmed flip flops, fabulous sun hats by Jamie Rae and swimsuits and cover-ups for the beach by Le Top, of course!
5. Where are your favorite family hangouts in the Newport, Rhode Island area?
Mimi: My grandchildren love kite flying at Brenton Point State Park and of course Easton’s Beach and the carousel that is just a short walk from our shop.
6. Tell us…before you “had kids or grandkids, what is one thing you swore you’d never…?” Please share!
Mimi: Before I had kids and grandkids, I never thought I would become so much like my mother. It always makes me smile to hear her exact words and expressions come out of my mouth.
7. Tell us about a “special” moment that made your day working at your store.
Mimi: The day we opened, the first customer came in and looked around and said, “I’m soooo glad you are here!” and then made a purchase. Everyone has been so welcoming that we are soooo happy to be in Newport, too!
Inside Mimi's for Kids featuring some of Le Top's playwear and Baby collections
8. What do you think are the 3 perfect ingredients if there was a “recipe” for dressing a stylish child? Always having solid basics? The perfect tutu? Great jeans that are durable for the everyday play of boys? Tell us your ‘secret recipe’ on style.
Mimi: My secret recipe for dressing a stylish child is a pinch of pizzazz, a dash of fun, a cup of comfort, and then mix it all up with lots of color.
9. Tell us your best parenting tip or mom advice that your mom passed on to you that you would like to share with a new parent.
Mimi: I have three younger brothers, the two youngest being twins, so her advice to me was: have a good sense of humor and try to be consistent.
Le Top 'Poppies!' collection
10. What collection or piece from Le Top or Le Top Baby line or Rabbitmoon do you love from the Spring/Summer 2011?
Mimi: I love Le Top’s ‘Poppies’ Collection umbrella top and capris for girls and the ‘Sunny Ducky’ Collection short set for boys. Both are just too cute!
Mimi’s for Kids
154 Mill Street
Newport, RI 02840
Read Full Post »