Who doesn’t love to taste the rainbow, right? These poptarts are filled with a fresh, rainbow fruit filling, baked until golden brown, then topped with a drizzle of sweet, rainbow icing. They are unexpectedly simple to make and the flavors of all of those fruits hidden inside are incredibly delicious. Not to mention adorable! And fun. What a great treat to make with your kids.
Serving Size: 2 pop tarts
- 8 raspberries, diced
- 1/2 peach, peeled and diced
- 8 mandarin oranges, diced
- 1 kiwi, peeled and diced
- 10-12 blueberries, diced
- 6-8 blackberries, diced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 uncooked pie crust
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon clear vanilla extract
- dash of almond extract (optional)
- 2 tablespoons half & half or whole milk
- red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple food coloring
1. Prepare all fruit for your poptarts. Mix together the sugar and cornstarch and sprinkle it over your fruit.
2. Cut the pie crust into four equal sized rectangles, approximately 3″x 4 1/2″ inches. Spoon the raspberries, peaches, oranges, kiwi’s, blueberries, and blackberries in layers in the center of two of the rectangles. Place the second rectangle of dough gently over the filling and use a fork to press the edges of the poptart together. Transfer carefully to a baking sheet. Bake in an oven preheated to 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges of the poptarts are golden brown.
3. In a small bowl, stir together the powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk or cream. Transfer the icing into 6 small, ziptop bags. Drop food coloring into each bag, tinting the icing red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple. Work the food coloring into the icingby smooshing the bag with your fingers until the icing is evenly colored. Snip a small portion off the corner of each bag. Pipe the frosting over your cooked poptarts in rainbow order.