They’re easy to make, perfect for any fiesta, and great for just anytime you need a tasty snack with a little crunch to it. Can you guess which snack? Kids of all ages can’t resist this Latin food snack that ironically has become an “All-American” invention snack/meal. Although all you moms out there might want a fun cerveza to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, make drinks with your food a family treat and serve sparkling apple cider for your kids to make mealtime more festive. What is this versatile, irresistible snack? Nachos, naturally!
Maybe I am biased being originally from California, but in my opinion, very little time is required to whip up a batch. You can cater your recipes to put your own individual spin on them too.
What is nice is nachos can be prepared many ways – on a grill, in the oven, or even in a microwave for any “short on time” parents. They can even be made for vegetarians or for the meat eaters in your family. Nachos are a great snack anytime!
Here’s what you will need to make this dish in a microwave:
- Whole wheat or corn tortilla chips
- grated cheddar cheese
- refried beans
- jalapeño pepper slices
- microwave-safe bowl
- butter knife
- microwave-safe plate
- can opener
- oven mitts
What to do, What to do!
1. Wash your hands! (Make sure to be present with your child because this requires using the microwave).
2. To begin, put the refried beans in a microwave-safe bowl and heat in the microwave for about 45 seconds.
3. Spread tortilla chips on a microwave-safe plate.
4. Spread the refried beans on the tortilla chips.
5. Spread a big dollop of salsa on top of the chips.
6. Sprinkle shredded cheese over the salsa and refried beans.
7. If you and your kids like spicy food, you can add a small amount of mini slices of jalapeño pepper to garnish the plate.
8. Microwave everything for about 1-1.5 minutes OR until the cheese melts.
9. Using oven mitts, remove the plate from microwave. (BE CAREFUL – the plate might be caliente (a.k.a. hot!)
10. Serve your tasty nachos with extra salsa!
11. Dig in